11.02.2012

Death and Suffering.

I'm learning more and more about the little superstitions my kids have. For example, while reading a story about owls, I was told that they carry the spirits of the dead, or it forewarns a death in the family. Not all of them believe that, of course. But I think they like sharing their culture with me anyways.

So, today, I was talking about the difference between a king and a president. I said "When a king dies.--" and was quickly interrupted by several voices! "Mrs. Westerfield! Don't say that! Say 'he suffers!'" I thought the term "suffering" was pretty unique, and they were all adamant that I say suffering rather than "the d-word." When I asked why I shouldn't, they said I would have bad dreams tonight about dying.

I just love it when they tell me these things!

No comments:

Post a Comment